[mythtv-users] ivtv/mythtv CVS dependancy clarification for PVR350

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Mon Nov 10 11:00:14 EST 2003

On Nov 10, 2003, at 00:02, Paul Crick wrote:

> Jarod said:
>> You'll have to either uninstall all the mythtv rpms before
>> installing from CVS source, or roll your own CVS-based rpms
>> and just rpm -U them, but other than that, everything *should*
>> work.
> Famous last words eh :-)  Hmm.. need to brush up on my RPM usage, but
> I'm
> guessing some kind of "query - list all installed packages" piped
> through
> "grep myth"

Yep, this works:

	# rpm -qa |grep myth

> followed by the RPM command line to uninstall said packages,
> with maybe a bit of whining about dependancy issues thrown in?

There shouldn't be any complaining, except about other myth packages.
I've removed all the rpms before without incident. One long line with
all the packages should circumvent any and all complaining.

	# rpm -e mythtv-suite mythtv mythtv-backend mythtv-frontend mythvideo
... etc

> Will the contents of the mythconverg database in MySQL remain
> untouched?

Yep. The rpms never touch the database on installation or removal.

> Torsten said:
>> You can also get the "Halloween-Edition" of ivtv:
>> This should work fine with vanilla 0.12.
> Will it be fine with the RPM version as per Jarod's HOWTO?

Remove the rpm version before installing, and again, you *should* be
fine. ;)

> Just maybe a bit
> more recent than the ivtv RPM that's installed as part of mythsuite?

A more recent ivtv yes, but just so you know, the ivtv rpm wasn't
installed as part of mythtv-suite; it is a separate component also
pulled from ATrpms, but not explicitly tied to mythtv-suite (since many
people using mythtv-suite don't have PVR-x50 cards). I'm requesting a
new ivtv rpm from Axel as soon as AVerMedia M179 support is included
(and my cards arrive), at which time it will hopefully also support 350
TV-Out...

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...