[mythtv-users] any debian+wintv pvr 350 users out there?

Andreas Bohnert abo at online.de
Tue Nov 11 03:28:11 EST 2003

thanks for all postings, especially jose!

jose rubio wrote:

>I'm running woody...  Well, I guess it started as woody but then I just
>kept upgrading stuff by hand...  If I had to do it over again (and I
>might when I get some free time) I would go with testing/unstable debian
>just because that seems to be what all the people developing myth/ivtv
>are using.

I will start with the 2.4.22 kernel now.
because I use xfs I have to use some further unstable packages, so I decided to switch to unstable completely (I always wanted to do so..)

>I am running 2.4.22, I do have the nvidia driver but I don't think
>that'll make a big diff. and I have a 250 and a 350.  When you compile
>your kernel -- and you should compile your own kernel, it builds
>character ;-)

mine or the kernel's? :)

>-- you'll need video for linux (I don't patch for v4l2).
>You'll also need framebuffer support (as a module I think)  I have the
>module fbcon-cfb32 the option for it is under character devices I think.

I didn't find fbcon-cfb32 (but now I know every possible switch:). I
enabled framebuffer support and then I enabled nvidea in a subtree. This
should be ok!?

>I would recommend that you _not_ go to latest CVS at the begining
>because it is very unstable (as of yesterday anyway)

there is a news entry from 2003-10-31 on the ivtv homepage. they say the
have build a new tarball, because there was a lot of confusion about the
right stable code.
will you NOT recommend this tarball as well?

>  The one I have had
>luck with is the 10/31 edition of the ivtv driver and the 10/28 cvs from
>myth (although I've heard that the 0.12 version will work well too)

so you run mythtv 0.11? I want to go for that version, because there are
already some debian packages and they work well for me.
but on the mythtv homepage they say 0.12 will support the pvr 350 now,
so I'm not sure, if I should go for an update.

>Anyway, I have to run but post here if you have questions.  I try and
>read this list at least once a day and I'll be happy to help.

that's very nice!
I have just one hour during the week to do something with myth and
debian, so I it will propably take some time to try some things out and
post again.
but if I would help me during a longer run I would be glad!

thanks
andreas