[mythtv-users] RE:Cheap MPEG cards

Kaushik Mallick kmallick2000 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 11 16:23:50 EST 2003

At one time I had posted the question on M179's
compatibility with MythTV. I was told by Joseph that I
couldn't use it. Has something changed since then?
Here is the post.

Of Kaushik Mallick
> Sent: Thursday, August 14, 2003 6:02 PM
> To: mythtv-users at mythtv.org
> Subject: [mythtv-users] Has anybody tried AverMedia
M179 card instead
> ofPVR250?
>

> Looks like there is moderate success with the PVR250
> in MythTV. I was wondering if I can use a smilar
card
> Avermedia M179. According to this link at
> ivtv(http://ivtv.sourceforge.net/FAQ.html#_jump03),
> "the AVerMedia M179 AVerTV uses a Sony SBX1637 audio
> module which is not supported by the current driver
so
> while you can capture video, you get no audio yet".
>
> Did anybody have any success in using a M179 as a
> hardware mpeg encoder with MythTV? Any comments or
> ideas how to get the sound working? Can I use an
> external cable to get the sound from the M179 to the
> onboard sound port of the motherboard?

No, an audio patch cable won't work with a hardward
MPEG encoder board, as the audio needs to be part of
the muxed MPEG stream.  Even if you could use
the board to capture video with Myth, the Myth
software won't even try to record audio from your
sound card if you tell it you have a hardware MPEG
encoder.

-JAC