[mythtv-users] MythTV 0.12 upgrade problems - my solution

Ramon Redondo malinon at mchsi.com
Wed Nov 12 09:50:31 EST 2003

Ramon Redondo wrote:

> Harlan wrote:
>
>>   Sound:  I really got this messed up.  I can watch TV using xawtv
>> just fine.  I am not able to mute the sound and use aplay /dev/dsp as
>> MythTV install instructions suggest.
>>
>> Any ideas???  What else do you need to know???
>>
>> Setup:
>>    Multimedia audio controller: Ensoniq ES1371 [AudioPCI-97] (rev 9).
>>    WinTV Go
>>    e-gforce 2 video card
>>    Linux fndsrv1 2.4.20-gentoo-r5 #1 Sun Oct 5 20:41:46 CDT 2003 i686
>> Celeron (Coppermine) GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
>>

> I am having similar problems.  Xawtv shows video, but I get the
> following from aplay:
> # aplay /dev/dsp
> aplay: playback:1809: read error
>
> However, if I go to Live TV, I have no problems.  Sound and video both
> function.
> If I play any recording, I get no sound.
> BUT, if I have something recording in the background, and watch a
> different recording, I get sound.
>
> I also have no problems with mplayer and sound.
>
> This used to work before I had to rebuild my system.
>
> Config info:
> Linux Kernel 2.4.22 (gentoo, vanilla-sources)
> Alsa drivers 9.2 (alsa-oss 9.1)
> Using OSS mode in Myth
> Aplay version is also 9.2
> Generic Brooktree tv card. (KWORLD)
>
> Help?

And now I reply to myself with the solution.  The key was that I never
worked properly after rebuilding my system.  It turns out that in _my_
case, the ALSA drivers were the culprit.  Gentoo's latest unmasked
version is 0.9.2, and for one reason or another my via8235 doesn't like
these drivers.  By allowing masked packages and updating to the latest
portaged drivers (0.9.8) I have no issues.  Before my rebuild, I had
been using masked drivers, so that is why I didn't have problems before.

Since Harlan ALSO has Gentoo, he might be seeing the same problem.

Sorry for the extra traffic.

Ramon Redondo