[mythtv-users] SUCCESS...sorta

Nathan Goff nathan at thegoffs.org
Thu Nov 13 13:31:08 EST 2003

After several weeks and two different machines I am now able to watch live
tv and see the picture and hear sound out of my speakers!  This is very
cool!  A key to all of the newbies out there....follow Jarod's guide line
for line.  I skipped over some stuff in a hurry to get the thing working
and that just caused many more problems.

Still a few problems though....While watching or recording about 3 minutes
into it the video/sound begin to race, almost like they are being fast
forwarded.  So the video starts to get jerky and the sound crackles and
gets bad.  I did notice that I was getting some "prebuffering pause"
messages on the console as well.  My machine isn't really quick, but I
figure if it can do live tv fine for a couple minutes I don't understand
why it would suddenly begin to decompose.  Does anybody know why this would
happen?  I have fiddled around with the various recording settings, but
they don't appear to have any affect on this FF affect.

My system:

AMD 1.3Ghz Duron
500+ MB Ram
FIC AN11 MB
Onboard via82xx sound card
WinTV PCI
20 GB Western Digital HD(this will be supplemented soon with a 160GB drive
for recording storage)
RH 9.0
ATrpms install of MythTV .12, bttv .9, current alsa driver/utils
Have used both 400x400 and 480x480 recording

Thanks for the help!

Nathan Goff