[mythtv-users] I'm in....

David George david at onyxsoft.com
Fri Nov 14 10:48:16 EST 2003

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003, Nelson Butterworth wrote:

> Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 10:15:51 -0500
> From: Nelson Butterworth <red_five at charter.net>
> To: Discussion about mythtv <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] I'm in....
>
> The delay in channel changes while watching live TV is due to the face
> that live TV is cached in a ring buffer, to make it possible to pause
> live TV and do instant replays. 3-5 seconds of live TV is cached to your
> hard drive before it is played on screen. When you change channels, it
> takes a few seconds to see the channel change occur. BTW, TiVO and
> ReplayTV do the same sort of thing, but I don't think most people use
> them to watch TV, just to record it.
>
> Nelson

Um, channel changes on my TiVo's are instant.  This is on a regular
TiVo and my DirecTiVo.  The only time they were slow was when I had an
external cable box and the TiVo had to change the channel using the IR
blaster.  I will admit there is a slight time delay as the TiVo buffers
though, noticable if I watch a show on the TiVo and have the same thing
playing on another TV.

I hope to have my Myth box finished (PVR-250 and pcHDTV) soon so I can
record HDTV and local channels from cable.

David