[mythtv-users] I'm in....

Joe Buehl jbuehl0001 at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 15 16:08:13 EST 2003

An SA Tivo connected directly to cable is tuning analog video which is only a matter of changing the tuner frequency, and that happens in milliseconds.  There's nothing inherently slower about a satellite tuner. Any *digital* cable or satellite video has the latency I described because of the program stream acquisition and the MPEG decode.  If the satellite were analog (like C-band) it should be faster.

I'm pretty sure that the live video you see coming out of a Tivo from an analog input has been digitized, which introduces some latency but would probably still be sub-second.  MythTV could conceiveably achieve the same speed, given an analog input source.

Michael Janer <michael at janernet.com> wrote:
> FYI, I just did some channel changes with my DirecTivo and it takes 2-3 seconds from the key >press to when the new video starts. That's about as good as you can expect with digital video >because to change an mpeg stream you have to wait for an I-frame and fill up the decoding >buffer and that takes time. There's just no way you can change channels as fast as you can >with analog. If you have a digital cable or satellite box that's separate from the DVR then you >have potentially a decode, an encode, and another decode, so 4-5 seconds doesn't seem out of >line.

FYI, I just did channel changes on my SA Tivo connected directly to cable, and it takes less than one second. You are getting a 3 second lag because of your Direct Tivo having to tune to a different channel on the dish. Nothing you can do about that.

Honer