[mythtv-users] Urgent Questions

Torsten Schenkel torsten.schenkel at web.de
Tue Nov 18 09:37:54 EST 2003

On Tue, 2003-11-18 at 14:12, Nick Breau wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if someone can provide me with some information about a
> frontend backend architecture for implementing MythTV.  I have been reading
> up and looking into a MythTV solution and think I may finally take the
> plunge since last night I installed an IE6 security patch on my dekstop and
> my PC is now non-functional - time to go back to redhat.
>
> My question is wether I can use the following two PC's for a
> frontend-backend solution and what I may be missing in order to complete the
> setup.  I know I will need to add a tuner card (PVR250?) to the backend box,
> but will i need anything else ?
>
> Backend - RH9, Athlon 2600mhz, 512RAM, MSI video card
> Frontend (good enough?) -  P2-400, 256RAM, 10gig hdd, old ATI-All-in-wonder
> video card
> (If this frontend isn't powerfull enough, what would be minimum requirements
> ? Could I implement a solution without a harddrive for the frontend ?)

The frontend will need more cpu than the backend, at least with a pvr250 as tuner card.
So why don't you swap the two. The P2-400 should be enough for capturing with a h/w
encoder card. It would need a bigger hdd. The frontend needs more cpu because it has to
do all the decoding.

Torsten
--
Config files for pvr350 tv-out and framebuffer:
http://www-isl.mach.uni-karlsruhe.de/~hi93/ivtv-pvr-350-conf.tgz