[mythtv-users] Re: Anyone using xine or ogle with Mythtv?

Ann Patterson apatterson at accelrys.com
Tue Nov 18 12:53:58 EST 2003

Xine runs just fine with Myth, dvd menus and all. Of the 3 that I tried
(mplayer, xine, and ogle), xine seems to be the best choice for dvd
playing.

Mplayer doesn't support dvd menus, from what I can tell.

Ogle is very simple to use, and mostly works, but I found that I couldn't
always get the commands to do what they were supposed to do. Ogle also
doesn't have native lirc support. Life can get interesting if you're
trying to run multiple apps with irxevent.

To get xine running, install xine and xine-ui from rpms (apt-get install
xine xine-ui).

Run myth, and go to the settings for  dvd playback. Select xine.

Play a dvd. Note that xine uses the keys on the *keypad* for navigating
the menus. This had me confused for awhile.

Press g to bring up the xine settings menu. Set things the way you want
them.

Press q to quit zine.

Once you've verified that xine works, get it working with lirc. From the
command line, do this:

$ xine --keymap=lirc > lircrc-test

This produces a lircrc file that has everything filled out except the
remote control buttons. Strip out the many things that you don't need, and
map the rest to your remote buttons. Copy the contents of this file into
the .lircrc file in your home directory. Note that this is a different
file than the .mythtv/lircrc that is used for myth's native lirc support.
It's okay to have both files.