[mythtv-users] IR Blaster?

IvanK. chepati at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 18 13:11:02 EST 2003

I can almost guarantee this will *not* work -- don't waste your money.  You
need a CIR (consumer infra red) device for lirc.

My advice and this is what I'm doing in order to control two cable boxes --
build the very simple (read one resistor, one diode, and one ir led)
transmitter circuit described at the top of this page:

http://www.lirc.org/transmitters.html

I built two of those, bought a cheap serial port pci card from compusa,
connected the two transmitters to it, built two lirc daemons (following
instructions given by Jason Tackaberry on this list) like so:

./configure.sh --prefix=/usr/local/lirc-xmit
--localstatedir=/usr/local/lirc-xmit/var
--with-devdir=/usr/local/lirc-xmit/dev --with-major=62

I also passed the port and irq based on what I had to pass to setserial in
order to enable the extra serial ports.

If you need more help with this (but not with soldering -- I'm a complete noob
there!), I'll be happy to help.

IvanK.