[mythtv-users] Re:inexpensive frontend?

Aran Cox spin at avalon.net
Wed Nov 19 15:01:07 EST 2003

On Mon, Nov 17, 2003 at 01:22:05PM -0800, audin at okb-1.org wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 17, 2003 at 03:07:27PM -0600, Aran Cox wrote:
> > On Mon, Nov 17, 2003 at 10:40:26AM -0800, Romel Llarena wrote:
> > > What about an Xbox? The latest rumour is that a new
> > > one will hit $99.
> >
> > I can't find any confirmation that this is going to be the case...
> > but an Xbox does make a decent frontend.  I use one and other than
> > the fact that I think the fan is absurdly loud, it's great.
> >
> > I think if it does go that low, I would be hard pressed to justify
> > purchasing a pundit for myself this Christmas.  I especially
> > like the idea of buying something that MS makes little or no money on
> > per unit, and then not buying any games or accessories. :)
>
> 	Does anyone know if an xbox is powerful enough/well supported enough
> to play back HDTV content?  I have a pcHDTV on order but I fear my dual Athlon
> MP2200+ with Radeon 7000 video isn't going to cut it for playback.  I'm not
> terribly interested in supporting NVidia's binary-only drivers.

I'm not sure if it's fast enough to play back HDTV programs.  Xbox games
can have HDTV output modes, but that's not the same thing.

So, your dual athlon won't cut it because it is too loud I assume?  Or is
there some other problem with that system?  By "supporting NVidia's drivers"
you mean you simply don't want to use them?  The nv driver included with XF86
does include Xv support so with a machine that fast you could probably just
use nv.  I'm not sure I understand what you think your problem might be :)

Aran