[mythtv-users] RE: MPEG-2 to MPEG-4 Transcoding comparisons

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Thu Nov 20 11:59:48 EST 2003

On Wednesday 19 November 2003 18:19, Augustin Chan wrote:
> Variable bit rate seems to be the way to go in terms of getting the
> highest quality recordings with the smallest file size.  From the
> MythTV menus, it seems that it supports it (since there's a
> mpeg2bitrate and mpeg2maxbitrate setting when specifying encoding
> parameters).
>
> However, from what I've seen empirically (by looking at file sizes),
> only the mpeg2bitrate setting is used.  Is this because of the
> hardware I'm using (PVR-250, natch) or is this a bug?
>
> The other question then becomes, if VBR is supported, why aren't
> there matching mpeg4bitrate and mpeg4maxbitrate settings when
> transcoding to MPEG4?
>
> Also, does anyone know of a utility that can do VBR transcodings of
> MythTV format .nuv files :)?

The MPEG-2 bitrate parameters are passed to the ivtv driver to control
the bitrate of the hardware MPEG-2 encoding.  AFAIK recordings made
with software MPEG-4 encoding use CBR.  I don't think you can transcode
*to* MPEG-2, so it's not an issue there, but in transcoding MPEG-2 ->
MPEG-4, since it's 'offline' (i.e., not encoding a live stream), it
should be possible, theoretically, to do a 2-pass VBR encoding, but I
don't think Myth supports that at the moment.

Mythtranscode has the ability to output raw (decoded) audio & video,
though, so you can use that facility (as nuvexport does) to use any
kind of encoding scheme you want.  If you're recording with a PVR-250,
though, you don't need mythtranscode to do that, as you can use any
transcoding tool on Linux, Windows or Mac that can handle an MPEG-2
source.

-JAC