[mythtv-users] Low volume with PVR-250

Vince Busam vince at busam.com
Thu Nov 20 23:48:04 EST 2003

Just upgraded Myth last weekend following Jarod Wilson's instructions.  MUCH
easy than before.  Thanks Jarod and all those who helped.

Everything seems fine except that the sound volume, both live TV and recorded,
on my PVR-250 is quite low.  I have alsamixer up above 90% on almost everything,
and mythtv's on-screen audio volume is over 90%.  I still have to turn my TV's
volume up higher than normal to get my usual sound level.  (I don't have a good
comparison with before because I also had an AverMedia card which was my primary
card.  I've since removed the AverMedia card even though I had great sound
volume with it.)

I note in the Myth documentation (section 22.1) that "modeinfo msp3400" should
contain "parm:*standard".  Mine doesn't.  Is this still necessary?  My
/etc/modules.conf has the lines "options msp3400 once=1 simple-1" and  "add
below ivtv msp3400 sas7115 tuner".

Using /dev/dsp1 instead of /dev/dsp doesn't seem to make any difference.  I
noticed /dev/adsp is not an option in mythtv setup anymore - I used to have it.

Any suggestions how to pump up the volume?

Thanks,
Vince

Installed:
alsa-lib-0.9.8-3.rh9.at
alsa-driver-0.9.8-13.rh9.at
gnome-alsamixer-0.9.6-1.fr
alsa-utils-0.9.8-1.fr
alsa-kmdl-2.4.20-20_29.rh9.at-0.9.8-13.rh9.at  (weird!!)
and /etc/modules.conf per Jarod's document for alsa

# modinfo msp3400
filename:
/lib/modules/2.4.20-20_29.rh9.at/updates/drivers/media/video/msp3400.o
author:      "Gerd Knorr"
license:     "GPL"
parm:        probe short array (min = 1, max = 48), description "List of
adapter,address pairs to scan additionally"
parm:        probe_range short array (min = 1, max = 48), description "List of
adapter,start-addr,end-addr triples to scan additionally"
parm:        ignore short array (min = 1, max = 48), description "List of
adapter,address pairs not to scan"
parm:        ignore_range short array (min = 1, max = 48), description "List of
adapter,start-addr,end-addr triples not to scan"
parm:        force short array (min = 1, max = 48), description "List of
adapter,address pairs to boldly assume to be present"
parm:        once int
parm:        debug int
parm:        simple int
parm:        standard int