[mythtv-users] Video doesn't play within Myth

Clay claybo at pacbell.net
Fri Nov 21 21:15:36 EST 2003

I'm setting up a test system (with a 700MHz Celeron and a WinTV PVR
350) for Myth before I build my "real" system.  This machine has an old
cheapo AGP card in it, an SiS 300.  I also do not have an output cable
for the PVR 350, so it's acting as MPEG2 encoder only at the moment.

mythfrontend works just fine -- I can scroll through menus, look at
listings, etc.  I can also schedule recordings and they end up
recording just fine too.  My problem is that when I go to watch the
recordings from within Myth, or if I go to watch live TV, the screen
just goes black.  Nothing is displayed.  The computer doesn't freeze up
-- I have to force mythfrontend to quit and I can just reopen it, but
it still remains that no video is played from within it.  If I open up
mplayer and use it to play the videos that Myth scheduled and recorded,
they play back just fine.

This system is just used to play with Myth before I start my project of
a dedicated PVR.  However, I want to at least be able to play with live
TV and other features to see how well they work on a slower system.
How can I get Myth to play back recordings or live TV instead of just a
black screen?  The only errors I get are from ALSA, because I have no
sound card installed in the system at the moment.  Other than that,
Myth indicates that it is playing.

Thanks for any help!
clay