[mythtv-users] ALSA and strange audio out problem.

Vassilis vassilisv at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 22 18:15:37 EST 2003

I have a problem with possibly ALSA sound that
appeared without me changing anything! First of all I
did all the research I could and I could not find any
related threads.

My setup:
Pundit
Red Hat 9
MythTV 0.12 from ATrpms
ALSA

I am using the SPDIF output for sound, everything was
working fine both TV and DVDs with AC3 passthrough.
Suddenly TV sound stopped working, BUT sound from DVDs
is fine! Let me clarify that a bit, if a play a movie
file with standard stereo/mono PCM sound using Xine I
get no sound output (from SPDIF or line out), however
my receiver is detecting an SPDIF signal. Now when
using xine again I play a ripped DVD all is fine!

I get the following error message from xine:

audio_alsa_out: Resume call failed. (err=-77:File
descriptor in bad state)

To me it looks like analog sound is not working but
AC3 passthrough is! I checked all mixer settings and
re-installed ALSA. I also tryed going back to OSS and
it worked fine, however there is no SPDIF support.

I know that this is not a MythTV issue but there are a
lot of users in this list with the same setup as me.
Hopefully I am not the only one with this problem :-).

BTW, I just noticed the mythtv.org web site is
probably hacked.

Thanks,
Vassilis