[mythtv-users] DCT2000 serial pinout / Shaw Vancouver

Gary Balliet geekofalltrades at shaw.ca
Sat Nov 22 21:56:00 EST 2003

Harondel J. Sibble wrote:

>On 21 Nov 2003 at 21:26, Joe Buehl wrote:
>

>>Gemstar!!!
>>
>>I didn't realize they had patents relating to serial I/O too.  Those
>><bleep>ing individuals have been responsible for singlehandedly
>>retarding the progress of technology relating to interactive media for
>>over a decade.  This is largely why your favorite cable company probably
>>offers such a crappy product, because of the ridiculous terms demanded
>>by the holders of the intellectual property.
>>

>Well, actually it might not be Gemstar after all, the most recent info I have
>is that they are concerned this will cut into their PPV (pay per view)
>revenue.  I personally don't see how that could be, since I can get the same
>end result using a IR blaster or just hooking my vcr up to the output on the
>dct2000 (which I've done before).
>
>So, someone from Calgary in a higher position is supposed to call me back so
>we can discuss this...
>
>I intend to be quite firm in my (and other people's interest) in this feature
>being available and also to come up with solutions that keeps _us_ happy and
>them too. I also intend to find out if there are any _other_ reasons and what
>it will take to change their minds.

I don't know much about it - but perhaps they don't want a buch of savvy
techie sorts getting a way into their boxes via a serial port, -which
allows sniffing phaps. An ir blaster prolly is much more limited - and
perhaps bc of this can't affect revenue. Many satelite providers have
been cracked.  Shaw currently isn't. You should be able to see their point.

just guessing - and these views are my own - not anyone elses, eh.

./gary