[mythtv-users] DVB Remote Control and MythTV

Mon Nov 24 04:28:56 EST 2003

> > I've successfully set-up the keymap for the remote control, which is
> > available on /dev/input/event0. What I don't understand is how to get
> > MythTV to work with this form of input?
> >
> > I've searched the mailing list and google and can't find any clues as to
> > what to do next. Am I missing something? or does this just not work?
> >
> I'm pretty sure the /dev/input/event0 way of doing it doesn't work with the
> Nova-T, search the archives at
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/archive/MythTV_C2/Users_F11/ for my
> conversation with Edward Wildgoose who helped me set mine up. You'll need to
> use the DVB-kernel driver, and apply Edward's patch. Unfortunately it turns
> out my philips tv and vcr remotes uses the same signals (well the computer
> picks up the tv/vcr remote, but not the other way around) so I cant actually
> use it anyway.

Of course it works with Myth?!  That's what my patch was for.

The remote sends normal keystrokes which Myth picks up.  You currently need to manually tweak the driver to set your keyboard mappings though.  My patch setup some reasonable keymappings for the grey Hauppauge remote of recent Nova-T's

You have one other option as well which is to run lirc pointing at your /dev/input1 file and then you can use the built in lirc support with Myth.  I haven't done this, but others have reported success on the lirc list.  I guess you don't need a recent version or lirc because you aren't using any of the lirc drivers, just the the lirc mechanism to translate between the input device and lirc apps?  It should be a similar process as for the PVR cards I think?

However, like you I find that my Nova-T remote partially conflicts with my amp remote control.  Vol up and down map to the left/right buttons... So turning up the volume skips forward through the film...