[mythtv-users] Dedicated hardware recommendations

Steve Hill steve at nexusuk.org
Wed Nov 26 14:45:58 EST 2003

I've been running Myth on my server for a while, using a BTTV card.  Since
it's not a dedicated box it suffers from all the problems of running lots
of services at the same time, so I'm thinking of building a dedicated box.
I was hoping some of you with experience of dedicated Myth boxes could
answer some questions.

The box will be both frontend and backend...

1. Has anyone captured MPEG4 from a bttv at full (720x576 25fps)
resolution, in with playback running at the same time (i.e. Live TV mode)?
What spec system is capable of doing that?
2. What spec system would you recommend for capture from a PVR-250 or
PVR-350? (I'm guessing this is relatively low-spec since the hardware's
doing most of the work).
3. Is there any particular reason to use the PVR-350 instead of the
PVR-250?
4. Very expensive, but has anyone played with the Hauppauge Nexus-S and
Common Interface Module to receive the encrypted channels on Sky?

Thanks for your input...

--

 - Steve                                             http://www.nexusuk.org/

        *** Presented in DoubleVision (Where Drunk) - Futurama ***