[mythtv-users] Video coming out on composite0 nottelevision output

Ray Olszewski ray at comarre.com
Fri Nov 28 10:33:12 EST 2003

I can't help with most of this, since I do not use the hardware you use,
and I am not familiar with how tvtime labels things. I limit myself to
answering a couple of the specifics you asked about (and even that much
only because I have seen no other replies to this ... I really doubt I am
the most knowledgeable person here with respect to your problem).

I do recall in the past seeing some threads on the Leadtek card, so you
might find it useful to search the list archive to see if they contain any
helpful advice.

At 12:58 AM 11/28/2003 -0500, mythtv wrote:
[...]
>I have been trying for ~3-4 weeks trying to get mythtv to work at all. I tried
>tv-time
>because it has less overhead and I can see the results more instantanious.
>
>first, I am not sure what dictaes the input as composite0 or televison.

Neither am I, in tvtime. But usually,

         "television" is associated with the RF signal, coming on on a coax
jack, that is tunable to specific channels

         "composite*" is associated with an NTSC or PAL composite signal,
coming in on an RCA jack, that is not tunable.

On the vidcap cards I have used (A Hauppauge and an AverTV), the sources
were Television and Composite1. Television was source 0.

 From your comments below, it does sound like your test tvtime setup ... or
perhaps the v4l driver itself ... is somehow mixing up the inputs. Its use
of "composite0" is certainly consistent with that sort of mixup, but I
can't help you with the details.

[...]
>Now I tried the card on an old PC and everything works fine, except that
>it is an old
>
>500mhz system and I do not want to use it there.
>I cant see any difference in the above hardware outputs between the 2
>systems. I am
>using a Nvidia mx440 with their drivers installed on X.

I don't understand this. "everything works fine" and "I cant see any
difference" seem to be contradictory statements. Anyway, since you don't
tell us the details of either system's hardware, we are unlikely to be able
to suggest any possible hardware problems.

>So What I am doing is trying to get any picture I can. In television input
>mode, I
>can change the channels, but get a "no signal" on the display. When I
>switch to
>composite0 I can see 1 channel, the channel that I last tuned to while I
>was in
>"television mode".

This description is what makes me think that your tvtime setup is in fact
associating "composite0" with the RF input source.

>For mythtv, I tried all diferent inputs during setup input configuration.
>What dictates composite0, 1,3 and television as inputs? It seems to me
>that my video
>is being ported to the wrong one of the aforementioned.

Does Myth (not tvtime) really report both a "Composite0" and a "Television"
as available to you? Does it behave the saem way as tvtime with respect to
use of these inputs?

Try reporting here how the source-identification problem manifests itself
in Myth and you might get better help.

>Thanks for your help. This is driving me nuts.
[old stuff deleted]