[mythtv-users] Dedicated hardware recommendations

David Engel dlengel at attbi.com
Fri Nov 28 18:40:31 EST 2003

On Fri, Nov 28, 2003 at 02:18:21PM -0800, Bruce Markey wrote:
> always agreed. However, if the 350 will only display mpeg2
> files, might it make sense to software encode files that the
> PVR-350 cards can play? Is this possible or are there some
> issues that would prevent creating files that would work.

I've read that the 350 hardware can support YUV output in addition to
MPEG2, but the LInux driver support for it has not been started yet.
So, in theory when the driver is ready, you can decode MPEG4, etc. in
software and dump the decoded video to the 350 for output.

On Fri, Nov 28, 2003 at 10:49:54PM +0000, Steve Hill wrote:
> Can the 350 not play MPEG4 and RTjpeg?  I assumed that Myth could display
> any movies on it as if it were a normal graphics card?

It could but the 350's frame buffer support is mainly intended for
overlaying the video with basic graphics for on-screen displays.  IOW,
it isn't designed nor optimized for general graphics uses.

David
--
David Engel
dlengel at attbi.com