[mythtv-users] Commerical skips

Douglas Phillipson dougp at intermind.net
Fri Nov 28 23:20:24 EST 2003

DBakker at arrayasolutions.com wrote:

> How does the commercial skipping work? Is it automatic? Do I have to set
> it up somewhere? Will it remove the commercial from my PVR-250 DVD mpgs
> when they are recorded?

The HowTo isn't real clear on this:

21.13 What is this transcoder thing, and how do I use it?

The transcoder re-encodes files from one MythTV format to another. The
main purpose of the transcoder is to allow users with hardware encoders
(PVR-250) or systems that can only record in RTJpeg due to performance
reasons (multiple capture cards, slow system, etc) to create MPEG44
streams to save space.

The transcoder can be used in two ways:

     * Automatically re-encode every file once it has completed recording
     * After marking commercials, the transcoder can be run manually to
delete the commercials from the file (thus further saving space)

In the "Commercial Detection" section of the GUI setup screen, there is
a "Automatically skip commercials" checkbox but I don't know if it does
it while recording or transcoding.  I would like to know if commercials
are  tagged during record, then removed with transcoding.  Or tagged and
removed during transcoding.  The text below doesn't seem to match the
MythTV software as I'v never found a way to "Mark" commercials through
the menu.

The two methods are independent. The first is an automatic process that
can be enabled/disabled through the setup program; the second is a
manual method which must be invoked on each recording individually.

The second method can be used on files that have already been transcoded
(or files which were are already in the correct format), so only the
frames immediately following a cut section will be re-encoded, resulting
in a very minimal loss of quality.

To enable automatic transcoding, do the following: start the setup
program under the host-specific settings: set the Transcoder Auto-run
checkbox

For either manual or automatic transcoding: start mythbackend start
mythfrontend select setup, and the Transcoding recording profile. now
select either RTJPEG or MPEG-4 (selecting any of the hardware encoders
will result in the transcoder not working). set the other parameters as
you'd like. For best performance, you should match the audio to the
'Default' profile. If you plan to only use the manual transcoder, you
can choose to set the video to be the same as the default profile too
(as long as it is MPEG-4 or RTJpeg)

Everything should now be setup properly. If you elected to use the
Auto-Run feature, the transcoder will automatically launch after each
recording is complete. The transcoder thread runs at a low priority, so
it should not impact any critical tasks or other recordings.

If you want to manually transcode a program, simply press 'X' while
watching a recording (you should have already finished marking all
commercials). If you change your mind, hitting 'X' again will stop the
transcoding.

Once the transcode is complete, mythbackend will replace the old file
with the new as soon as it is no longer in use.