[mythtv-users] 5th Time asked...Someone please take 2 minutes to answer.

Chris Petersen lists at forevermore.net
Sun Nov 30 22:22:37 EST 2003

> I did read the documentation several times, but It does not make sense to me to
> have transcoding/encoding make a file larger. Shouldnt the limit be at 100% of the
> original?

But you can have different "original" encodes.

> If a file gets larger, that to me is decoding. and If I am making an mpeg4 file
> why is the suffix still .nuv and not mepg4? That really doesnt make any sense. Or
> does it?

nuv is a "container" format - like ogm, avi, quicktime.  Regardless of
the content (except in the case of the hardware-encoded mpeg2 files),
the file will always be .nuv because other information is stored in the
nuv besides audio/video data.  Maybe this xml will help:

<nuv>
  <block type="other">
    <closed_caption_data />
  </block>
  <block type="video" encoding="mpeg4">
    <data>some-encoded-data</data>
  </block>
</nuv>

This is pretty much how all container formats work (not in xml,
obviously).  Isaac chose the nuv container for whatever reasons he did
(it offered him the best options).  mpeg2 is different, since it's just
an mpeg2 file with a .nuv extension - I think that was done because it's
more compatible than dropping mpeg2 data into an nuv container.

> I know where my original files are, but I didnt know if myth was putting the
> transcoded files somewhere else.

.11 myth renamed the old files to xxx.old.nuv - the latest myth simply
overwrites the old file with the transcoded one.

> I am recording all my programs through mythweb, which to my knowledge doesnt have
> an advanced recording screen.? Also, I dont see an advanced recording menu in
> mythfronted either. Can you be more specific.

As far as I know, mythweb's interface is essentially the same as the
advanced recording screen.

-Chris