[mythtv-users] constant flames against people that are new to thelist - can't we all be adults here?

Stephan Wentz wentz at gmx.de
Thu Oct 2 14:47:42 EDT 2003

>>>But heck, I'm scared to death to post also.
>>
>>You shouldn't be. Just don't ask something that's already been
>>answered. Thoroughly read the documentation and search the mailing list
>>archive, then ask if you haven't found what you're looking for, and
>>chances are, you'll be clear of all possible flaming. Too many people
>>just aren't following those steps.
>

> I have a controversial observation (based on people here at my work) that the difference between an "IT" person and a "non-IT" person comes down to an "IT" person knows how to read the instructions.  There is a genuine skill in knowing how to read and search through documentation, all the little things like searching for the opposite function (or something related) and then using the cross reference, "see also" type stuff, to crab sideways to find what you really wanted.
>
> It doesn't appear to be that easy to "most" people to search documentation and find what they are looking for...  I think those that can do this have a "special skill", don't underestimate the value of this...
>
> Anyway, I'm sure loads of people never try and read the instructions.  I have no comment about this, just an observation that some people find it much easier than others.

Yepp, that's just what i'm thinking of this. MythTV get's better - more
people are using it. And these people won't necessarily be Linux-Cracks,
like it used to be. And these people WILL ask stupid questions.
This looks like the situation Linux was in some time ago, only cracks
where using it, and everybody moaned about the might of M$ and why
everyone is using such a lousy OS. Then more and more "normal" people
started using Linux and what happened? Now the cracks moaned about
people trying to get Linux running, it seems like they weren't happy
that their OS was getting more and more public... I think the reason
these cracks got angry was that normal people tried to take their
snobbish position, they couldn't believe that they are better then
others any more.
Hehe, and the same was about the Internet, at first only students used
it, and more and more not-so-intellectual people used it (I only have to
mention A0L and Usenet...) and we were in the same situation.

I think that everony should be happy about every new user, because it
helps to broaden the base that e.g. MythTV stands on, and the more
public it gets, the more other developers will get interested in it.

There are other ways about helping these people, why isn't the FAQ
posted here once in a week, like in most Usenet-Groups? Or maybe put a
big hint to the web-faq in the subscription mail? Or even better, start
a new Newbies-List...

Gee, everybody started in small steps, and it can really get frustrating
when it doesn't work.

Stephan