[mythtv-users] Myth saves the Evening!

Wood, Mike Mike.Wood at marriott.com
Thu Oct 2 09:37:35 EDT 2003

Gang,

My wife & I sat down last night to watch West Wing (one of our favorite
shows) and 5 minutes in...the phone rings...my mother-in-law :-(.  So I grab
the remote, hit pause, go do some stuff around the house...and 25 minutes
later, my wife is finally off the phone and we start watching again.  It was
AWESOME!  It was the first time, besides playing & testing, that we had a
genuine need to pause live TV and it worked beautifully.  Thanks MythTV!

Now, I do have a question.  I have my system set so that forwarding jumps 30
seconds and rewinding jumps back 10 seconds (the default I believe).  While
we were watching the show last night, about 25 minutes behind "Live", I used
FF to skip through commercials in 30 second increments and everything was
working beautifully.  However, near the end of the show, FF was no longer
skipping ahead 30 seconds, but was moving just 1 or 2 seconds at a time,
even though I still had 3 or 4 minutes of recording left to watch.
I should also mention that I was actually watching and recording this at the
same time, not just time-shifting Live TV.  This was the second time I
noticed this behavior...although I thought I was just going crazy the first
time.  I was trying last night to figure out what had changed over the
course of the show, since earlier in the show it was working perfectly.  The
only thing I know that changed was that the recording had finished.  In
other words, we were still watching when the show had ended in real-time, so
recording had stopped and we were finishing up the last few minutes.  I'm
not sure if this had anything to do with it.  The other thing I did was exit
from watching, saving my position, then went right back in and started
watching it again.  This fixed things and my forwarding was back to 30
second increments.

I'm not at all sure if this is intended behavior near the end of a
recording, or if this is actually a bug (albeit a minor one).  Has anyone
else noticed this?  Is it intended to work this way?

Thoughts?
Mike