[mythtv-users] PVR-250 worth the upgrade?

Will McCracken will at wgm3.com
Thu Oct 2 13:49:45 EDT 2003

I recently built a mythtv box using the PVR-250 and an nVidia GeForce
FX5200. With the built in encoder in the 250 and the decoder in the
graphics card, I only see the CPU (Athlon XP 1800+) use at about 1 - 2%
while watching live tv, recording , or playing back. This type of setup
would allow you to use a much slower CPU. I previously had a system
setup (under windows XP with showshifter) using an ATI all in-wonder
card and the picture quality and performance were terrible. The 250 is
worth the money just for the picture quality in my opinion.

-Will