[mythtv-users] Re: Combine ATI TV Wonder, TV Wonder VE, and PVR 250?

mythtv at hearlefamily.com mythtv at hearlefamily.com
Fri Oct 3 07:58:04 EDT 2003

Actually I'm only using the TV Wonder VE as my single tuner card, so I can't
compare it to a PVR 250 since I don't have one.
I'm recording MPEG4 (software encoding) at the max resolution (not sure what
that is) with a bitrate of 2000 (KB I assume). You could get much better
quality but I'm trying to keep disk usage low. I get about 710MB/hour.

My system is an Intel P4 1.8 GHz with 512MB of RAM, and recording uses 10-15%
CPU. The system can record, watch a recording, stream to another frontend, and
burn a DVD with xcdroast simultaneously at about 50-65% CPU.
I could be wrong, but I believe that higher bitrate would consume less CPU
since it wouldn't have to compress the video as much (?).
I think you're right about the PVR-250 doing MPEG2. RTJPEG is just software
encoding in MythTV's case I believe, as well as MPEG1. You probably *could* use
MPEG1 or RTJPEG but you wouldn't be using the PVR-250's encoder... you'd be
using your CPU. Hardware MPEG2 is the way to go.

(Side note: if you're going to be exporting the videos to disc or anything,
I've heard that the .nuv files created by the PVR-250's hardware encoder are
just normal MPEG2 files with a different extension. Rename the files to .mpg,
put 'em on a CD-R or DVD-R, and you can play them in Windows Media Player or an
unpatched version of MPlayer.)

 ~ Drew