[mythtv-users] constant flames against people that are new tothelist - can't we all be adults here?

Tim Harvey tharvey at alumni.calpoly.edu
Fri Oct 3 13:02:41 EDT 2003

I think posting the docs to the list is just redundant.  Having a
google-esque search to the docs would definitely help.  How do we make
it happen?

> > Maybe I'm different, but anyone I know that likes to tinker is the
> > type that
> > just likes to plug it all together and *does* not read every word of
> > the
> > instruction manual for anything unless it's for pure education.  But
> > then
> > again we have really good searching skills, as the previous post was
> > talking
> > about...
>
> Okay, so I don't usually read the entire manual for most things
either.
> But MythTV is a bit different than a television set. I managed to get
> my entire system working the first time without asking anyone
anything.
> Granted, I beat my head against the wall quite a bit, and spent about
> 30 hours getting to the point where I had a functional system, but
this
> was pre-0.9, when PVR-x50 support was only in CVS (so no rpms publicly
> available) and not yet heavily documented. I can now install from
> bare-metal in about 2:30 under RHL9, including all errata, though I
> have the install process mostly committed to memory...

Same goes for me... I beat my head against the wall but finally got it
working without posting any questions.  For me, using the rpm's actually
screwed me up in a way.  I had no problems using AT's rpms to get a 0.11
system up an running... absolutely no problems and it only took an hour
or two.  But, when I realized I wanted to get involved and tried to
switch over to using CVS I got really hosed up.  I ended up completely
reinstalling as I'm just not a linux guru.  AT's rpms tend to put things
in different places than the Makefiles generated from the CVS versions.
This was just my experience.

Once I got things running though, I immediately got confused on 'how to
use MythTV'.  I really think we should split up the documents and have a
'RPM based Installation Guide' (such as your guide), a 'CVS based
Installation Guide' (pretty much what the current documentation is), a
'Frequently Asked Questions' (the current docs take a stab at this with
Section 21, but its lacking a lot of faq's from the list), and a
'UserGuide' (which I haven't seen anything close to yet).

In addition I really think something should be done about this
mythtv-users mailing list as the traffic it gets is so high.  I commend
all of you for apparently reading all of it... personally I'm on the
verge of unsubscribing to myth-users because I can't read all the
threads and still get my real work done.  I would rather see key
developers working on the project rather than spending hours a day
reading through the list.  Perhaps I'm highly inefficient at reading the
list?  I'm using Outlook (yuck!) and its threaded capability pretty much
sucks, but I ran into problems with some of the obvious alternatives as
well (I can't get Mozilla to inline attachments from the commit list,
and I can't really migrate my mail-reading platform to Linux and use
Evolution... wish it was avail for Windows).

Comments?