[mythtv-users] Geforce4 440MX (Gainward) tv out black&white

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Fri Oct 3 14:13:04 EDT 2003

On Friday, Oct 3, 2003, at 08:39 US/Pacific, Joseph A. Caputo wrote:

>>> Hmmm, I'll give it a try, but I don't think that will fix my problem.
>>> Currently, everything (including VTs) looks great using VGA; on the
>>> TV-out,
>>> the BIOS & boot messages are great, and X is great, but once X has
>>> started
>>> the framebuffer console VTs are all scrambled.
>>
>> That's exactly the problem I had that was fixed by removing the
>> "ConnectedMonitor" line(s) in my config.
>>
>>> It looks like a refresh rate
>>> or sync issue, and I'm almost sure that the proper modeline for fbset
>>> will
>>> fix it.  I seem to recall that before I enabled the framebuffer
>>> console (to
>>> get a boot splash screen), the VTs were fine.
>>
>> Now I haven't done the bootsplash part (I just use rhgb), so I dunno
>> what impact that'll have on the situation. I'd be interested to hear
>> your solution though, as it might possibly lend me some insight into
>> how I could get back VT ability (and BIOS viewability).
>
> Aha, I see... it's been a while since I futzed with my XF86Config, but
> I think
> you may be right.  My "ConnectedMonitor" is set to "crt,tv", but I
> don't have
> a monitor hooked up at the moment.  I can't wait to get home and try
> it out!

And if you do ever hook up a monitor again, I found that removing that
line wasn't a problem, and the monitor was also auto-detected fine
(with just a monitor, and with monitor and TV alike).

Any thoughts on my situation? I'm not sure what, if anything, I can do
about my no-VT problem, since I can't even view the BIOS screen (well,
its there, but rolling big-time :). I'm thinking its just something
I'll have to live with, but no biggie. (Again, I'm running
VGA->Component via an Audio Authority 9A60 adapter).

--Jarod

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...