[mythtv-users] ivtv failure on modprobe, i2c error on boot, RH9 machine

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Sat Oct 4 14:27:47 EDT 2003

On Saturday, Oct 4, 2003, at 06:31 US/Pacific, Mike Monk wrote:

> First let me give some basic information:
>
> I am running Redhat 9, kernal version 2.4.20-20.9
> I am using the ivtv for the same kernal version.
> Amd Duron 1200 Mgh, 512 Ram, PVR 250
>
> I am following the installation guide at:
> http://pvrhw.goldfish.org/tiki-page.php?pageName=rh9pvr250
> written by Jarod Wilson
>
> I used apt-get and synaptic to download and install the mythtv_suite,
> ivtv drivers for my kernal version, and the actual kernal itself

That would actually be "kernel"... :)

> Problem #1)
> I have an i2c error on bootup ( it fails to load ) on my RH9 box. I
> get the followin error:
>
> Starting lm_sensors: starting up sensors can't access /proc file
>
> /proc/sys/dev/sensors/chips or /proc/bus/i2c unreable
>
> It kicks this error when it is booting up (AKA when you get the green
> 'OK' ) I get the red "Failure" on the above.
>

> I know that lm_sensors is a linux package that reads and monitor
> hardware sensors in the motherboard

Inconsequential error message, don't worry about it. You can either set
up your sensors, and the error will go away, or just disable lm_sensors
from loading at startup. ("/sbin/chkconfig sensors off", I believe).

> Problem #2)
> I add the following at the top of my /etc/modules.conf
>
> # For ivtv
> path[toplevel]=/lib/modules/`uname -r`/drivers/media/video
> # For bttv and saa7134
> path[toplevel]=/lib/modules/`uname -r`/v4l2
> # default path
> path[toplevel]=/lib/modules/`uname -r`
> # ivtv modules setup
> alias char-major-81 videodev
> alias char-major-81-0 ivtv
> options ivtv debug=1
> options tuner type=2
> options msp3400 once=1 simple=1
> add below ivtv msp3400 saa7115 tuner

I believe someone suggested changing that last line to:

add below ivtv i2c-core i2c-algo-bit msp3400 saa7115 tuner

You might give that a try. Let me know if it works for you...

> Next:  #  /sbin/modprobe ivtv
>
> Now this kicks the following error:
> /lib/modules/2.4.20-20.9/drivers/media/video/ivtv.o: init_module: No
> such device
> Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters,
> including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
>      You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg
> /lib/modules/2.4.20-20.9/drivers/media/video/ivtv.o: insmod
> /lib/modules/2.4.20-20.9/drivers/media/video/ivtv.o failed
> Segmentation fault

There definitely appears to be something amiss with Axel's ivtv
packages right now... You aren't the first person to report this. I'll
do some further testing of my own in a bit here and see what I can come
up with. What output do you get from "rpm -q ivtv"?

--Jarod

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...