[mythtv-users] mythdvd and I/O errors: hardware or common fault?

Dave Brown dl2brown at pacbell.net
Sun Oct 5 15:01:58 EDT 2003

I have an aged but working DVD-ROM drive installed on my gentoo-athlon box.
Pretty reliably during the rip phase MythFrontend's command line will report
an I/O failure and the rip will be cancelled. I've ripped 1-2 minute
segments (from Muppet Show DVDs) and they are ripped and converted well
enough. My question is whether this I/O error really points to a DVD
hardware read fault, as it happens on so many of my DVDs, or whether this is
some other fault I should be chasing.

daveb