[mythtv-users] Hard Drive (How Big?)

Ray Olszewski ray at comarre.com
Sun Oct 5 15:43:22 EDT 2003

At 02:06 PM 10/5/2003 -0700, James Colannino wrote:
>Hey everyone.  I was just wondering, if I plan on storing a significant
>amount of high-quality recordings on MythTV, how big of a HD would you
>recommend?  120GB?  200GB?  Perhaps 300GB?

This sort of question has no real answer, aside from the suggestion that
you quantify (for yourself, not us) "significant amount" and "high
quality", then do the math. Though you do need some space for the OS and
Myth itself, in this sort of calculation, you can neglect it.

Prices right now seem good on drives in the 120 GB to 250 GB range, with
much higher (per GB) prices for 300 GB and (rarely) larger. That would
drive my decision, along with the realization that adding another drive
when the one you have gets full is no real difficulty.

Just as a reference point, I have 2 servers I keep video on, and they have
a combined 600 GB of disk space (on 5 physical drives, mostly purchased
last year or early this year) available for video storage, with about 400
GB of actual stored video. That's a quantity I've accumulated in about 18
months, though it is mostly at a lower quality (and smaller size) than
Myth's default MPEG4 settings.

Were I buying a new drive for use here, I would only look at the current
220 and 250 GB drives, unless I needed to take into consideration the
inability of some BIOSes to access disks over (I think) 135 GB ... though
this is an issue, if at all, only for your boot drive ... in which case I'd
consider a 120. But that's just me; YMMV.