[mythtv-users] DVDs and CD-RW's for SVCDs

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Tue Oct 7 14:40:30 EDT 2003

On Tuesday 07 October 2003 05:26 pm, Edward Wildgoose wrote:
> > > The nuvexport script can transcode to an SVCD-compliant MPEG-2 file (or
DivX
> > > or WMV).  You can then use other tools on any platform to create a
burnable
> > > SVCD image (my favorite on Linux is 'k3b').  Be aware of the following
issue,
> > > however:  it seems that the SVCD MPEG-2 encoding process likes to have
the
> > > audio source sampled at a certain rate (either 44100 or 48000 Hz; I
forget
> > > which).
> >
> > And I'm still working on this...  someone (you, maybe) suggested looking
> > at sox for audio conversion, but I've been rather overworked lately and
> > haven't had any time or desire to do any coding in my free time
> > (sometimes, it's just too much to do it all day long).
>
> Lots of DVD players, WILL actually play an SCVD with 48khz or 44.4khz audio.
Its not standard, but then neither is wma and a number will play those as
well...  As a general rule it seems the cheaper the player the more it will
do...  Try one and see if your player works I guess (however, for best
compatibility re-code)

> There is a lot of good (windows mainly) stuff at www.vcdhelp.com

I'm not even entirely sure that my problem is related to the sample rate, but
it's definitely not just my DVD player, especially since my DVD player will
play pretty much anything I throw at it.  No, the generated MPEG-2 file is
bad; I've tried mplayer on Linux & Mac OS X; WMP on Win2K, and my standalone
DVD-player, all with the same results:  the video plays fine, but the audio
drops out after the first few seconds.  My guess is it's mpeg2enc that has
the input sample rate problem, possibly tied to the 'svcd' option/mode. I
don't have any problems encoding to DivX so it's not ffmpeg, toolame or
yuvdenoise, or even mythtranscode (though giving mythtranscode the ability to
do on-the-fly output resampling might help localize the problem, if not fix
it completely).

-JAC