HTML posting (was: Re: [mythtv-users] pcHDTV card)

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Wed Oct 8 00:48:15 EDT 2003

On Tuesday 07 October 2003 16:55, Lan Barnes wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 07, 2003 at 04:45:37PM -0400, Chris Poch wrote:
>
> -automatic delete of html, gif-
>
> I am baffled as to why anyone using Mozilla on Linux would send a
> basically Linux list html email. I can't speak for anyone else, but I
> delete mail like that w/o reading.

Hear, hear!

The last time I posted a message like yours, I got an off-list email from the
offender suggesting that I get a 'better', HTML-capable mail reader, since I
seem to be the only one 'complaining' about it.

The fact is, I use several MUAs and they are all HTML-capable (KMail,
Outlook).  That doesn't change the fact that sending HTML mail to a mailing
list is bad netiquette.  Not to mention, it messes up the searchable gossamer
and pipermail archives & those receiving the list in digest format.  Plus,
it's a real PITA to try to do a quoted reply in plain text to a message that
was originally HTML.  Yet, I sit there like an idiot inserting carriage
returns and adding little "> "s to the front of every line so that my reply
will be readable by everyone.  Maybe I should ignore them like you do.

Nice to know I'm not the only one.

(Note to the original poster:  I don't mean to flame... anyone can make an
honest mistake.  Just please don't tell me that posting in plain text is an
unreasonable request)

No flames, please, folks... it's late and I shouldn't be shooting my mouth off
anyway.  Perhaps it's the Novocaine shot I had earlier...

-JAC