[mythtv-users] blank screen + "Audio buffer overflow, audio data lost!"

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Wed Oct 8 00:05:21 EDT 2003

On Tuesday, Oct 7, 2003, at 22:05 US/Pacific, Kevin Bowen wrote:

> I just upgraded my distribution (from redhat 9 to Fedora (i.e. redhat
> beta))

i.e. NOT Red Hat beta. It is Fedora Core Test, v0.94, pre-Fedora Core
1. But I understand what you're saying. For the record, after Red Hat
Linux 9, there is no Red Hat Linux, only Red Hat Enterprise Linux and
Fedora (sponsored by Red Hat).

> and rebuilt and installed myth .11 (keeping my database and settings
> from my
> previously working install), and now I'm getting this old problem,
> where
> when I enter live TV, I get a blank screen, then after a few seconds
> pause,
> MANY lines of "Audio buffer overflow, audio data lost!" printed to the
> console by mythfrontend. I got this problem once before after I
> upgraded
> ALSA, and the solution then was to change my audio device from
> /dev/dsp to
> /dev/dsp0. This time, however, my alsa setup hasn't changed (same
> install as
> before) and its working for everything else. I tried changing the audio
> device back, but still the same thing. Anyone have any idea what else
> could
> be causing this this time around?

No idea. MythTV didn't like the first Severn release either. I have yet
to dig into it and/or try on the latest release. Look in
/var/log/messages and your mythbackend log for more clues. I'll
probably give FC 0.94 a try in the near future myself...

--Jarod

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...