[mythtv-users] Re: Jarod's config w/ a LIRC change, newbie question

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de
Wed Oct 8 19:11:23 EDT 2003

On Wed, Oct 08, 2003 at 08:28:39AM -0500, Woody Sturges wrote:
> My problem is that I have a Dish Network box (no serial connection), so I
> cannot control this box without building my own IR transmitter.  I built
> the circuit on the lirc site, but the lirc that I installed from ATrpms
> evidently doesn't have the 'transmit' function turned on.  (Something about
> recompiling it specifying --with-transmit).

Does that hinder any other functionality within lirc (e.g. other
breaking other drivers)? If not, I wouldn't mind adding it to the rpms.

> [...]
> DIR=`pwd`; (cd /usr/src/linux-2.4.20-20_29.rh9.at/; make SUBDIRS=$DIR
> obj-m=lirc_serial.o modules)
> /usr/src/linux-2.4.20-20_29.rh9.at/scripts/pathdown.sh: line 4: TOPDIR:
> parameter null or not set
> [...]

Looks like you forgot something from the sequence
make mrproper
<create .config by copying it from somewhere else or make *config>
make dep
make bzImage
make modules

> Unfortunately, I think I've screwed up my configuration by tinkering with
> it so much, and I'm considering reloading everything.  My question is:
>
> Can I do everything on Jarod's howto, except the lirc stuff, then compile
> lirc with the transmit option?  Then I'll be able to have MythTV control my
> dish box.  I'll go out and buy a wireless keyboard/mouse to replace the
> gray Hauppage remote.  Assuming this can work, what do I need to do to get
> lirc to compile with the ATrpms kernel loaded via the howto?

Follow the documentation in lirc, and make sure you have performed the
steps above in the atrpms' kernel-source tree up to make dep. Also
don't forget to remove Red Hat's child safety precaution in the
toplevel kernel Makefile (the suffix "custom" to the kernel release).
Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de