[mythtv-users] Hauppauge Media MVP

Christian Hack christianh at pdd.edmi.com.au
Thu Oct 9 13:56:38 EDT 2003

> On 9 Oct 2003 at 11:35, Christian Hack wrote:
>
> > http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS6144692803.html
> > http://www.hauppauge.com/html/mediamvp_datasheet.pdf
> >
> > US$99. Has hardware decode of MPEG1/2 streams as well as MP3 -
> > unfortunately no MPEG4 it seems so it's only really
> sutiable for DVB /
> > PVR250 / PVR350 customers. PAL or NTSC output including
> component and
> > RGB. Runs some sort of linux.
>

> Coolio, I know my girlfriend will appreciate one of these...
> no computers in
> the bedrom... ahh the sweet sound of silence ;-)
>
> The article says only WinXP and 2k supported, I wonder if it
> would work with
> a samba based linux box as the "server"

The way I read the pdf and the article, I understand that it's a
client/server based relationship, but more than just a file server. i.e.
some special server program runs on the PC and the MVP only talks to it.
i.e. it doesn't understand samba/windows shares etc only the "MVP
Protocol". However if we can fake that then we're set.

I'm currently looking to get one, even just to play. Gotta get it to
Australia though.

CH