[mythtv-users] OSS -vs- ALSA sound

Harondel J. Sibble help at pdscc.com
Wed Oct 8 21:59:34 EDT 2003

On 2 Oct 2003 at 2:17, Ian Forde wrote:

> > > attached asound.state (gzipped).  Put it in /etc, do a 'alsactl
> > > restore', connect the digital coax cable to your av receiver, and you're

> > So just to make sure I understand. This implements ac3 passthru so that my
> > Creative Desktop Theatre amp will use the ac3 signal to properly play the
> > audio to my 5.1 speakers.
>
> Correct.  It also sends regular stereo PCM output (often encoded with
> Dolby Prologic for some broadcast shows) through the same channel.  My
> receiver can autodetect the encoding and switch to the appropriate mode.

> Well, in Xine, you have to configure it in the setup.  In Ogle, there's
> a section in the config file that you should uncomment if you want it to
> work.  Let me know if you want a copy of mine and I'll post it
> (compressed, of course) to the list...

Is the setup in xine or ogle separate from the alsa setup? Or is it
contingent on the alsa configuration itself? I just tried ogle with the spdif
enabled in the oglerc, but I am not getting an ac3 signal at my amp (it's not
autoswitching).

Sure, I'd love a copy of your config file(s)

--
Harondel J. Sibble
Sibble Computer Consulting