[mythtv-users] Success story and my own Tivo comparison (long and windy)

Isaac Richards ijr at po.cwru.edu
Fri Oct 10 02:47:32 EDT 2003

On Thursday 09 October 2003 07:36 am, Joseph A. Caputo wrote:
> This would be really nice; it's been discussed, and it's generally agreed
> that it would be a nice thing to have.  However, the question of how to
> implement it *well* looms large.  It really doesn't fit in with the current
> hierarchical GUI architecture.  Personally, I think that to do it right the
> entire Myth UI would have to be overhauled, if not completely scrapped and
> re-done from scratch.  I don't know about you, but I don't have the time
> for that large a task.

Actually, just launching some arbitrary task (guide, tv, playing music)
wouldn't be all that difficult -- just check out programs/mythfrontend/
main.cpp, TVMenuCallback().  That's everything the main mythfrontend binary
can do, just would need to have the plugins register their various options
somehow, and you'd be able to talk to them as well.

The biggest thing would really be adding code to allow you to exit out of the
currently running task, since I don't think it makes much sense to allow many
things to stack..

Isaac