[mythtv-users] Re:Re:MythMusic Problem?

jose rubio debian at nc.rr.com
Fri Oct 10 09:48:34 EDT 2003

On Fri, 2003-10-10 at 00:04, Couvrette, Jeffrey C. wrote:
> When I type
>
> $ hostname
>
> the response is
>
> polaris.home
>
> Is that not reacting how it should be?  I am somewhat confused on how to set
> hostnames.  Just to review, the steps I took to set the host hame were to
> add:
>
> 192.168.0.100    polaris.home
>
> to the /etc/hosts file and also set that as the name for this computer in my
> Dlink router.  I setup eth0 to use DHCP.
>
> Thanks again.
> jeff
> ----

I'm not sure what dist. you are running but the /etc/hosts file is just
a list of shortcuts, if you type "ping google.com" ping will first look
in your /etc/hosts file to see if there is an IP address for google.com
then it would go into your dns to find if there is a google.com.  BTW,
you probably should not have named your computer "polaris.home" you
should have named it just "polaris"  By convention hostnames should not
use any special characters (such as ".") in your case.  The "." has a
special meaning and it might be why you are having problems (although I
doubt it).

The host name of your computer is stored in the file /etc/hostname.

Like I said before, I doubt that this is what is causing your error BUT
it might not be a bad idea to fix this now before it does cause you
problems.  The way to do it is to get rid of the ".home" in your
/etc/hosts and /etc/hostname files and reboot (yes I know for you
purists out there you don't actually have to reboot, but unless you are
running as a file server for a bunch of people, rebooting is the best
way to make sure you changed everything).  You'll probably also need to
change your router (i'm surprised _it_ let you give a name with a "." in
it...)

Again, this will not solve your mythmusic problem.  It sounds like a
setup problem to me... but I have not even bother to set music up yet...

-jose-