[mythtv-users] why do people reply with a new topic?!

Ajay Sharma ssharma at amntv.com
Fri Oct 10 10:35:52 EDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-10-09 at 18:52, Joseph A. Caputo wrote:
> Chris Germano wrote:
> > There are a ton of people on this list that reply to someone else's
> > topic with a totally new problem/question that have nothing to do with
> > it. Do you guys just not know how to make your own topic or just forget?
> > Just email your problem/question with a new subject, not Re:
> > [mythtv-users] to someone elses post that has nothing to do with yours.
> > I'm completely baffled as to why this happens so much.. it really goes
> > against this mailing lists hierarchy system. Just my two sense.
>
> I think the confusion is that some people don't realize that threads are
> identified by message IDs, not by the subject line.  Changing the
> subject doesn't change the 'In-Reply-To' in the message header.

I used to reply to posts on a mailing list to start a new topic (but
that was *before* I joined this list).  That was when I used pine and
AFAIK it doesn't have any kinda threaded view.

But now that I'm using evolution, thread view is fantastic when it
works.  I think it's just a matter of time for more people to discover
how to view high-traffic mailing lists as threads in their mail clients.

later,
ajay