[mythtv-users] Load v4l ?

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Fri Oct 10 17:21:11 EDT 2003

On Friday 10 October 2003 08:04 pm, Wood, Mike wrote:
> Hey Gang,
>
> I'm trying to figure out if I should have the "Load v4l" line in my
> XF86Config file.  Should it be there, or shouldn't it?  Myth seems to work
> either way, but I'm wondering if it may hurt/hinder performance by having or
> not having it?
> It also looks like, if I do load it, I'm getting an error in
> /var/log/messages that says modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module
> char-major-81-1
> If I don't load it, I don't get this message.
>
> Soo.. Should I be loading it?  If so, I'm assuming I need to add something
> to modules.conf to correct the error message...but what exactly?  If I
> shouldn't be loading it, then I'll take it out.
>
> Thanks!
>
> System:
> RH9 with 2.4.20-20.9 Kernel
> IVTV Drivers for PVR250
> nVidia Drivers for GeForce 4mx

Well, I'm no expert on this, but I believe the v4l in XF86Config is for
*output*.  That is, it's what enables/helps programs like xawtv to display
video from a v4l *input* device directly in an X11 window.  Since Myth
doesn't use V4L for output (it decodes an MPEG/RTjpeg/MJPEG video stream from
disk and plays it using the Xv (not v4l)  extension), then I think the only
reason you would need this line would be if you (a) had a V4L card, which you
don't (PVR-250 doesn't qualify here; although it may use some v4l2 stuff, it
uses the ivtv driver, not the v4l driver), and (b) wanted to use that card
under Xawtv or the like (which Myth isn't).

Someone who knows more, please feel free to correct me...

-JAC