[mythtv-users] Load v4l ?

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Fri Oct 10 14:42:51 EDT 2003

Wood, Mike wrote:
> I'm trying to figure out if I should have the "Load v4l" line in my
> XF86Config file.

Yes, the picture controls won't work without it.

> It also looks like, if I do load it, I'm getting an error in
> /var/log/messages that says/ modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module
> char-major-81-1 /

Probably an error in your /etc/modules.conf file. It should
be looking for a module associated with character device 81,1
rather than a module by that name. For example:

alias char-major-81 videodev
alias char-major-81-0   bttv
alias char-major-81-1   ivtv

or whatever applies to your system. If you only have one v4l
device, you probably only need to remove the reference to
minor device 1.

See http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-22.html#ss22.1
for more details on ivtv or the documentation for bttv.

--  bjm