[mythtv-users] ASUS Pundit SIS driver per Jarod's FAQ

Jeff C tuner at hfx.eastlink.ca
Sun Oct 12 14:48:04 EDT 2003

At 09:55 PM 10/11/2003 -0700, you wrote:

>No problem. I see how that would be overlooked. I'm making a minor
>adjustment to that section, so the mention of killing off artsd is before
>the part that says ALSA is optional, so hopefully, people will catch that
>before skipping ahead.

Perfect, that should make a big difference.

I should mention that I'm so pleased with the cleanliness or organization
of the machine I just built, when 0.12 comes out as an official release,
and Axel RPMs it for us (we all owe him a big thank you again), I think I
will wipe my personal box and do a clean 0.12 Jarod/Axel RPM install.  I
would like to have everything properly sorted and reasily
removed/upgraded.  Its well worth it. :)

>Well, it is supposed to be persistent. I'd swear I had problems with it at
>one point, but I haven't touched it anytime recently, and it stays solid
>at 720x480 for me.

Aha, that would do it.  It defaults back to 720x480 at reboot I believe.  I
do my recordings at 480x480 so I have to reset it each time, as well as my
preferred encoding bit rate.  I notice almost no difference between 480x480
and 720x480, except disk space usage.  And I have a nice JVC D-Series TV,
but not a fancy schmancy set, so others mileage may vary.

>And thank you. I've got a slightly updated version posted now, with more
>changes to come shortly. Gotta get crackin' on the update section, since
>Isaac just said 0.12 should be out within a week or so...

Another thing I'll recommend, is when people use gdmsetup to configure the
auto-login - I would HIGHLY recommend instead of auto-logging in at as user
mythtv, to instead login after 5 seconds.  This way, if something goes awry
with all your autostarting of myth etc (in my case, I managed to concoct
something that resulted in a system lock) you can actually cut in as root
and disable to diagnose.  I got myself caught in a loop that meant I
couldn't find a way to stop the init process so the machine would loop and
lock and I had to reinstall.  For those more unix savvvy it may not be in
an issue, but its cheap insurance to have it wait 5 seconds, then do the
login.  Myth users don't reboot often, but when you we do its usually a
problem.  :)  Hope that saves someone else my heartache :).

-Jeff