[mythtv-users] ASUS Pundit SIS driver per Jarod's FAQ

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Mon Oct 13 01:00:58 EDT 2003

On Sunday, Oct 12, 2003, at 09:48 US/Pacific, Jeff C wrote:

>> Well, it is supposed to be persistent. I'd swear I had problems with
>> it at one point, but I haven't touched it anytime recently, and it
>> stays solid at 720x480 for me.
>
> Aha, that would do it.  It defaults back to 720x480 at reboot I
> believe.  I do my recordings at 480x480 so I have to reset it each
> time, as well as my preferred encoding bit rate.  I notice almost no
> difference between 480x480 and 720x480, except disk space usage.  And
> I have a nice JVC D-Series TV, but not a fancy schmancy set, so others
> mileage may vary.

Yeah, I use the default bitrates too, so I suppose that would be why
I've never had to set anything. I can see having to set the bitrate,
but I still think that MythTV is supposed to set the resolution, based
on your recording profiles...

>> And thank you. I've got a slightly updated version posted now, with
>> more changes to come shortly. Gotta get crackin' on the update
>> section, since Isaac just said 0.12 should be out within a week or
>> so...
>
> Another thing I'll recommend, is when people use gdmsetup to configure
> the auto-login - I would HIGHLY recommend instead of auto-logging in
> at as user mythtv, to instead login after 5 seconds.  This way, if
> something goes awry with all your autostarting of myth etc (in my
> case, I managed to concoct something that resulted in a system lock)
> you can actually cut in as root and disable to diagnose.  I got myself
> caught in a loop that meant I couldn't find a way to stop the init
> process so the machine would loop and lock and I had to reinstall.

Aiee! Not good. Okay, I'll see about making that adjustment tomorrow.

> For those more unix savvvy it may not be in an issue, but its cheap
> insurance to have it wait 5 seconds, then do the login.

There's always your installation media that you can boot from in rescue
mode and edit your /etc/inittab file to boot into run-level 3
(text-mode) or simply edit the grub command before the kernel starts to
load. Append a space and a 3 to the kernel line, and the system will
boot into run-level 3, only for that boot.

> Myth users don't reboot often, but when you we do its usually a
> problem.  :)  Hope that saves someone else my heartache :).

Not a bad idea. I just haven't had many problems, so it wasn't ever an
issue for me. :)

--Jarod

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE