[mythtv-users] MythTV looks incredible

James Pifer jep at obrien-pifer.com
Mon Oct 13 12:06:08 EDT 2003

Hi. I have been looking for a DVR to run on Linux for a while. I came
across the web site last week and it looks awesome.

I've searched the mailing list and read a bunch of stuff, plus looked
over the web site. I do have a couple questions (or verification) before
I go buy cards for this.

I tape a lot of shows using VCR's and the playback quality blows, which
is the big reason I want to do this. I also want to playback on my home
theater (Infocus X1).

So, I need a tuner card plus a video card that supports Video out.
For cost/performance break point and known supported cards I'm looking
at:
Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-250 Tuner (want MPEG2 for DVD's)
AGP Geforce4 MX440 DDR64 w/TVout
(My system is an Athlon 1.2Ghz with 1 GB SDRAM)

Looks like I can pick the cards up on ebay for somewhere around $150.

Assuming I have everything right so far, my only concern with this setup
is how much am I going to miss having the remote control when watching
the recordings (or live TV) on my home theater? Any comments to that?

Thanks, looking forward to getting this going.
James