[mythtv-users] Changing channel station names

Gregorio Gervasio, Jr. gtgj at pacbell.net
Mon Oct 13 20:14:40 EDT 2003

|>update channel set callsign='TBSP', name='Channel 45 TBSP', xmltvid='C45tbsp.zap2it.com' where chanid=1045;

j> I see. This will change the name of the old channel, but it doesn't
j> update the program information. It leaves me with a correct name but
j> incorrect times for everything within the next week. So far I haven't
j> had much luck with mythfilldatabase correcting this type of problem the
j> day before and any programs that were scheduled before the change are
j> still recorded at the wrong time.

        I don't think TBS changed their schedule when zap2it changed
the ID, did they?  Why would the old program information be completely
wrong for the entire week?

        In any case, it doesn't matter that much.  mythfilldatabase
will update program information for "tomorrow" each time you run it.
If you run it daily, all the old program info will eventually get
updated.  You just need to watch out for new programs added to the
schedule and time changes for timeslot-based recordings but that's no
different than program changes for channels whose ID stayed the same.

j> I wonder perhaps if maybe instead of deleting the new one that got added
j> it might be better to just delete the old one with incorrect program
j> times? That's what I was asking, if there was anything else I need to do
j> or if that will break something. I haven't tried it yet. I mainly wonder
j> what will happen to existing schedules for that channel if I just delete
j> the older incorrect one.

        That's a little worse because mythfilldatabase will usually
just update the schedule for tomorrow and tomorrow+7 days.  If you
delete all program information for the old channel, you'll lose the
schedule (however wrong it might be) for that channel for today and
for six days in the next week.  (Check the schedule for the new
channel that got added to your database -- it should have gaps.)  It
will still eventually get filled in when you run mythfilldatabase
daily so you shouldn't lose any channel-scheduled recordings.  Also,
the new channel ID won't be 1000+channum, but that's just for
consistency.
--
Gregorio Gervasio, Jr.