[mythtv-users] nuvexport without transcoding?

Chris Petersen lists at forevermore.net
Tue Oct 14 12:42:57 EDT 2003

>         I've been meaning to ask this for some time now -- what
> exactly do you mean when you say mencoder can't understand the
> MythTV's nuv format?  Does it not work on any file at all for you?
> Does it work only on certain types of recordings?

Up through version .10 (I think), there was a patch for mplayer/mencoder
that let it read myth .nuv files properly (myth's nuv files aren't
standard nuv files - Isaac extended the format).  After that, there were
more changes to myth's nuv files that broke the patch's compatibility.

>         I just tried what the original poster asked on a file recorded
> using MythTV CVS from Sunday night, and it still works:
> mencoder -oac copy -ovc copy file.nuv -o tmp.avi
> mencoder -forceidx -oac copy -ovc copy tmp.avi -o file.avi
> This takes less than 1.5 minutes for a 30-minute recording and only
> because it's disk limited (12% CPU for Athlon XP 2200+).  The two
> passes are needed apparently because the index can't be rebuilt
> properly when the source is a .nuv file.  Otherwise, seeking won't
> work.

If this works, AWESOME.  It hasn't for most of us in the past.

-Chris