[mythtv-users] Changing channel station names

James L. Paul james at mauibay.net
Tue Oct 14 15:14:34 EDT 2003

Gregorio Gervasio, Jr. wrote:

| |>update channel set callsign='TBSP', name='Channel 45 TBSP',
xmltvid='C45tbsp.zap2it.com' where chanid=1045;

| j> I see. This will change the name of the old channel, but it doesn't
| j> update the program information. It leaves me with a correct name but
| j> incorrect times for everything within the next week. So far I haven't
| j> had much luck with mythfilldatabase correcting this type of problem the
| j> day before and any programs that were scheduled before the change are
| j> still recorded at the wrong time.
|
|         I don't think TBS changed their schedule when zap2it changed
| the ID, did they?  Why would the old program information be completely
| wrong for the entire week?

Because the program information for the entire week has the entire
schedule for that channel off by 3 hours. The programs on TBSP are 3
hours different from those on TBS, to my EPG shows the rest of the week
incorrectly until, one by one, the days get "tomorrow" updated by
mythfilldatabase.

The part I haven't figured out yet is why a program that was scheduled
to record _before_ the database is updated still gets recorded at the
wrong time. I think it has something to do with having duplicate channel
information in the database, one set is correct and the other is not.
I'm hoping to make a tool that will flush a specific channel from the
database and repopulate it with correct contents that I can use whenever
~ I need to change my channel lineup.

It's a significant need for me, I can easily need to do this upwards of
a hundred times a year. Right now I have my Tivo alerting me to lineup
changes, I'm not sure what I'll end up using to alert me if I stop using
my Tivo. Right now the mythfilldatabase functionality doesn't have any
provisions for channel lineups that change often, it kinda assumes that
the lineup is set in stone. This is good for most places, since
providers don't change their lineups that often.

Our lineups do change often, and twice in the past 18 months we've had
major channel number changes as well. A couple months ago we actually
had about 50 stations change cable channel numbers, that was a pain. :(
Remember, we all live in bamboo huts here in Hawaii. :)

|         In any case, it doesn't matter that much.  mythfilldatabase
| will update program information for "tomorrow" each time you run it.
| If you run it daily, all the old program info will eventually get
| updated.  You just need to watch out for new programs added to the
| schedule and time changes for timeslot-based recordings but that's no
| different than program changes for channels whose ID stayed the same.
|
| j> I wonder perhaps if maybe instead of deleting the new one that got
added
| j> it might be better to just delete the old one with incorrect program
| j> times? That's what I was asking, if there was anything else I need
to do
| j> or if that will break something. I haven't tried it yet. I mainly
wonder
| j> what will happen to existing schedules for that channel if I just
delete
| j> the older incorrect one.
|
|         That's a little worse because mythfilldatabase will usually
| just update the schedule for tomorrow and tomorrow+7 days.  If you
| delete all program information for the old channel, you'll lose the
| schedule (however wrong it might be) for that channel for today and
| for six days in the next week.  (Check the schedule for the new
| channel that got added to your database -- it should have gaps.)  It
| will still eventually get filled in when you run mythfilldatabase
| daily so you shouldn't lose any channel-scheduled recordings.  Also,
| the new channel ID won't be 1000+channum, but that's just for
| consistency.

What I want to do is hack mythfilldatabase so I can flag it to do a
complete update for all channels, or a update for a single channel. It's
not flexible enough to me to be unable to force it to do that. I know
that the way it is helps prevent abuse to the listing servers, but I
don't see an extra 7 downloads every now and then to fix a channel
lineup to be an abuse. Ahh well, it will be a short while before I can
dig into that anyway. :)

In the short term I'm still working on fixing the duplicate listings.
Worst case I'll flush the database entirely and start over, then be sure
to only update the xmltv config _after_ updating the name in the database.