[mythtv-users] tv_grab_na doesn't work with zap2it anymore

Mike Hicks hick0088 at tc.umn.edu
Wed Oct 15 09:20:37 EDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-10-15 at 00:51, James L. Paul wrote:
> Mike Hicks wrote:
> | Hmm.  This reminds me that I'd like to see Myth be able to change to an
> | arbitrary channel when you type in the number, just like most TVs do.
> | Maybe it's just an option I haven't found.
>
> Do you mean while watching live TV? I haven't had any problem changing
> to an arbitrary channel, I just enter the number and press enter. I do
> this from my IR remote quite often.

I mean changing to a channel that is not defined in the database.  Do
you do that?  I just wasn't able to do it on my system when I tried it
last night, but like I said, maybe my config is messed up.

> | Of course, for people wanting guide-less operation either temporarily or
> | on a permanent basis, I'm not exactly sure how MythTV knows what video
> | standard and frequency table to use.  I think it might somehow be told
> | by XMLTV, but I'm not sure.  There must be a way to set it by going into
> | the database.
>
> Isn't this determined by the capture card driver configuration? MythTV
> just uses the V4L API to change channels, I thought. I just configured
> the appropriate tuner type for my PVR-250 in the ivtv module config,
> everything else takes care of itself courtesy of V4L via MythTV.
>
> I don't understand what XMLTV has to do with changing channels or video
> standards at all. It's just a source of information for a program
> listings, right?

Yeah, I looked into the settings table in the database and found the
"TVFormat", "VbiFormat", and "FreqTable" keys.  Those control the
behavior of the card (this is version 0.11).  (though, arguably, this
should be set on a card-by-card basis or even channel-by-channel, but I
guess that wanders off the topic of this thread)

I think the problem the guy was having was that there are no channels in
his database, so MythTV won't go anywhere.

--