[mythtv-users] Re: MythTV on a Xbox

James S. White james at jameswhite.org
Wed Oct 15 09:39:50 EDT 2003

> But, can I use my MS Xbox remote controler? Is there any good advice on
> what kind of tv tuner card to buy? Not too expensive, of course...

If you mean the Xbox IR remote that comes in the DVD playback kit, than yes
that can be used to control myth just fine. Others hav the xpad working to
control myth as well.

As far as a capture board is concerned, You can get a bttv card for anywhere
from $50-$100, or get a PVR-{2,3}50 for $150-$200. The video quality is
a little better on the PVRs, but if this is your first attempt at linux
video capture I would reccomend the cheapest bttv card you can find. They
are the easiest to set up and there is a lot more documentation out there
for them.

Note: I haven't priced bttv cards in a while, so $50 may no longer be a good
deal. I looked on eBay and it looks like you can bid on a cheap WinTV card
fo $15. Whether it works or not is another matter.

James S. White                      GAPS Incorporated
james at jameswhite.org                Electrical Engineer - Etc.
http://www.jameswhite.org           Caffeine is my anti-drug.
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.
And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.
                                                               -Jack Handy